"Before my family’s nightmare started, I lived a peaceful life in Bradford County,
"My husband, Carl, and I planned on spending our lives in this beautiful Garden of Eden."
"However, we were not the only ones interested in Bradford County. Chesapeake Energy moved into Bradford in 2009 seeking natural gas..In February 2010, Carl and I started breaking out in terrible rashes on our hands and feet…Our tap water now had an odor to it and was yellow…Then, we started getting stomach aches and had trouble keeping food down. We grew dizzy and tired, and started to forget simple things. Our joints started aching. We saw doctors who tried to figure out what was wrong with us. Our symptoms mirrored so many other diseases and disorders. The doctors could not figure out what the problem was, and our health kept deteriorating. In April, a large hole opened in our yard. It emitted a terrible smell, and it leaked a foamy fluid. My daughter, Angelina, moved in with us in June 2010…she, too, started getting sick. We could not ignore the signs any longer. We paid…[an independent water tester]…$1,200 to come and test our water…."
"Our water contained dangerous levels of lead, methane, propane, ethane, ethene, barium, magnesium, strontium, and arsenic..."
"…I demanded blood tests from my doctor. He found barium and arsenic in my blood. Carl had to pay out of pocket because he did not have health insurance. The test cost $6,000. Since Chesapeake does not have to reveal the chemicals that they use, our doctors could not treat us for fear of causing a reaction with other unknown chemicals or minerals."
"After seeing a realtor who could not sell our house without us “cleaning it up,” Carl, Angelina, and I left our beautiful home and land to live with relatives. "Meanwhile, our radon tests came back and we also had radon in the air, and trace amounts of radium 226, radium 228, and uranium in our water."
"In February 2011, Carl developed intestinal cancer and had his intestines removed. My daughter, five months pregnant, suffering from seizures, had lead poisoning."
Exposure: Numerous wells within 5 miles of home
• Ground Water Contamination:
• Air Contamination:
• Human Health Impact:
Rashes on hands and feet
Lead, arsenic, and barium poisoning
Industry Dishonesty / Disregard: Chesapeake Energy refuses to
acknowledge well contamination and methane leaks in yard.
"...I would like to say that after moving out, our health improved, but it did not. Although the chemical and mineral counts have gone down in my blood, my body is still paying for those high doses. My daughter suffers from daily seizures. She cannot work or drive. My husband, Carl, deteriorated day by day. Unable to handle the loss of memory and speech, as well as the debilitating daily headaches, he took his own life. I don’t blame him. He was in too much pain, and his doctors could not help him."
"I am the family of Judy Armstrong Stiles. I lost my home, my health, and my husband. We are not expendable for natural gas."
More can be found in Shalefield Stories
Judy's testimony starts at 6:00