Jaime Fredrick: Ohio Resident
Location: Coitsville, Mahoning County, OH
"Shortly after moving into my home in Coitsville, Ohio, 3 years ago, I became seriously ill. I vomited on a regular basis and had intense abdominal pains every day. After numerous trips to six different doctors and several emergency room visits, I had my gall bladder removed."
"Over the course of the next two years, I underwent five more surgeries in an attempt to repair the grapefruit-sized infection in my intestine, which ate through to the outside of my skin…Our medical bills burned through our savings."
Convoys of trucks and drilling equipment rolled down our once quiet road….
Living through the drilling and fracking phase of the most recent well was a terrifying experience. We were given no notice and had nowhere to evacuate. We were subjected to unbelievable levels of noise, like an airport runway. We couldn’t sleep for days due to the explosions. Worse yet, we could feel the vibration through the house from the drilling. The fracking lasted about 3 days.
The gas storage tanks and radioactive toxic waste tanks are outside my bedroom window, uphill from a fresh artesian spring on my property….
• Several well sites near home
• Fracking waste pit
• Gas storage tanks
• Ground Water Contamination:
• Human Health Impact:
Removed gall bladder
Grapefruit-sized infection in intestine
Elevated kidney and liver levels
• Loss of Property Value: 100% loss $125,000 to $0
Industry Dishonesty / Disregard:
• Well blowout
• Torn waste pit liner
• Chemical spill
Oversight Failure: Ohio Department or Natural Resources contacted
- not addressing to problems
Our little house, in the middle of the woods, will soon be in the middle of a toxic wasteland…We have already had a blowout of at least one well, a chemical spill, and a tear in a waste pit liner.
Our property value has been reduced from $125,000 to nothing. …I have developed kinetic tremors in my hands as a result of the neurological side effects of some of the chemicals.
The worst side effect is my concern about safely carrying a child. The doctors fear hemorrhaging or death is possible. If I would become pregnant, there is the risk of birth defects due to the chemicals from my water. I will never take that risk. At the time when I was most sick, drinking the most water, per doctor’s orders. I lay on the bathroom floor, night after night, vomiting, thinking I would surely be dead soon. At that time, I did not know what fracking was, or that I was being deliberately poisoned. But I do now.
- Jaime Frederick
More can be found in Shalefield Stories